It’s almost that time of year again to dig out your tired old Christmas tree and decorations; but instead of doing the same old thing as last year, why not try something a little more adventurous to personalise your home and add some extra Christmas style and sparkle?
Internationally-renowned interior designer Gerry Burke has styled our striking Spence showhome at Castle Grove, Newton Mearns, for Christmas, and he shared with us some of his own advice and top tips for giving your home an extra special festive look.
Gerry says: “Christmas is the time of year when you want your home looking its best for entertaining family and friends. The Spence has been dressed with a fantastic holly Christmas tree which we have placed in the open-plan kitchen and dining space of the house. I’ve also used tall feathers on the tree to give it a bit of additional height, in keeping with the proportions of the feature window. Placing your tree in this part of your home creates a focal point for the room, which will be enjoyed by all the family as they celebrate the festivities.”
Here are more of Gerry’s top tips for creating the finest homes this festive season:
- Consider your existing colour scheme and carry this through to your Christmas decorations. Don’t forget soft furnishings - scatter cushions and fur throws create a cosy feel.
- Think outside the box and use feathers and other natural materials such as twigs, pinecones and berries. Check out your local florist or garden centre for items you can incorporate into your decorations.
- Don’t just think about the tree; look for other places in your home that you can decorate. Stairwells, mantelpieces and console tables look gorgeous dressed to the nines with foliage, twinkly lights and candles.
- Hang a large wreath in front of a mirror for a double impact look. Wreaths don’t have to be made out of pine tree branches – choose more unusual materials or make your own.
- There is no such thing as too much! If you think your tree can take 40 lights, hang 80 for a more opulent feel.
- If your home has a space where you can have another tree, such as a family room or hallway, just go for it! Get the kids involved in decorating and make it a fun activity to do as a family.
- Dare to be a bit different. Reflect your personality in your decorations. If you love pink why not have a show stopping pink tree?
- Create impact at your front door using oversized hurricane lamps with tea lights inside for an inviting look. Decorate bay trees and box hedges with twinkling white lights for an upmarket feel.
Our stunning Spence five-bedroom Christmas show home is open at Castle Grove, Newton Mearns, Thursday to Monday 10.30am to 4.30pm. To arrange a viewing of the Spence show home contact the Sales Centre on 0141 639 8199 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out our Pinterest board for more Christmas decoration inspiration!